” On December 19, 2012, Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney (the “Immigration Minister”) announced that the Federal Skilled Worker Program (“FSWP”) would once again begin accepting new applications on May 4, 2013. However, several key details of the FSWP were not announced at that time. These outstanding details include:
- The cap on the number of applications that would be accepted without arranged employment in the first year;
- The list of eligible occupations that would not require arranged employment (which in most cases would now mean a Labour Market Opinion); and
- The organizations that would be designated to conduct educational assessments.” More
I was at a wedding reception recently, where immigrant parents who had made a living as factory workers or administrative staff showed off their children who were doctors, lawyers and investment bankers. All those who denounce our past Immigration Policy of attracting human capital rather than one which creates a resume bank, as the present one does, are being truly short-sighted. Those who come merely to fill jobs will not have the same rootedness and stake in Canada to remain when their jobs are gone. We cannot bank on their kids to become contributing members of our society. Yes immigrants complained that they came here with a hope of finding jobs in their fields of expertise and did not. By that they meant:
- Manage people’s expectations better when you communicate your immigration policy that attracts human capital;
- Penalize employment practices that prevent immigrants from getting jobs based on ethnocentrism.
Not, throw out the Immigration Policy, that attracts human capital, altogether?
Also, the emphasis on English and French hurts us greatly. By shutting out the majority of folks who may have trouble communicating in English, but are experts in their fields we lower the standards for people we can attract and our prospects for innovating in a competitive global economy.
This will surely be remembered as Canada’s missed opportunity!